A sweet treat to share
Surprise your mom, dad, favourite teacher or a special friend with one of these delicious and chocolatey cupcakes on Valentine’s Day! Share a little love and impress them with your baking skills.
- 180 g butter or margarine, softened
- 200 ml (¾ cup) sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
- 310 ml (1 ¼ cups) cake flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (¼ tsp) salt
- 60 ml (¼ cup) cocoa powder
- 50 g chopped nuts (optional)
- 200 ml (¾ cup) Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing
For the topping:
- 100 g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) fresh cream
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter or margarine
- Line a cupcake tray with 8 cupcake wrappers.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg is added, until light and creamy. Add the vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder together.
- Add the dry ingredients, alternating with Spur Salad & French Fry Dressing, to produce a creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and ask an adult to help you place the pan into the oven.
- Let it bake at 180°C for 45 minutes or until baked through and a skewer comes out clean. Ask an adult to help you remove the pan from the oven and leave it to cool slightly in the pan.
- Ask an adult to help you remove the cupcakes from the pan and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the topping, ask an adult to help you melt the chocolate slightly. Add cream and butter and melt further over a low heat until completely melted. Cool for 30 minutes before spooning over cake.
Grate 50 g (½ slab) mint crisp chocolate over icing for a delicious mint flavour.