Earth Hour shows us that a lot of people doing something small like turning off the lights can have a big impact. Here are some easy ways to use less energy.
Earth Hour is a special event organised by the WWF, which takes place on the last Saturday of March every year. Millions of people around the world switch off their lights and appliances for one hour, to show how much they care about the future of our planet, as it is our only home.
Earth Hour shows us that a lot of people doing something small like turning off the lights can have a big impact. So why not make some small changes every day? Here are some easy ways to use less energy and be a true eco warrior!
- Turn off the lights, computers and the TV when you leave a room.
- Create a lift-club or carpool for school and parties with other kids in your area
- Open the windows or use a fan on warm days instead of air conditioning.
- Turn off the water while you brush your teeth.
- Remember to recycle
5 Fun Ways to Spend Earth Hour
1) Turn your living room into the perfect picnic spot with blankets, pillows, pillows and candles galore.
2) Game night by candlelight with your favourite board games.
3) Enjoy nature’s very own entertainment and venture outside for some stargazing
4) Grab a candle or torch, sit in a circle and swap stories – spooky or sweet!
5) Pitch a tent in your backyard and roast yummy marshmallows on the braai.
Lights and appliances use a lot of energy every single day, which contributes to climate change or global warming (which means our planet is becoming too hot and causes extreme weather), so saving resources like electricity and water is good for the earth.